My marketing isn’t working and I don’t know why? That is the single most popular question business owners ask us. Our answer is equally simple. You don’t have a marketing strategy.
You jumped right to the tactics. You have a website. You might have sales people talking to prospects. You probably have a brochure. But do you have a clear marketing strategy? Only 10% of business owners do.
If you want to start marketing your business the right way, consider these questions as part of your strategic planning process.
- What are the company’s revenue goals over the next 12-18 months?
- What is our average sale and how many new prospects do I need to drive that level of revenue?
- Who is the exact target audience that will purchase your product or service?
- What pains and problems does this target market have when they purchase products or services like yours?
- What solutions does your company provide to cure those pains?
- How are those solutions remarkable and are they remarkable enough to start a buzz and set you apart from the competition?
These simple questions are what make up a basic marketing strategy. The answers drive all the marketing tactics in a concise and effective manner. Strategy before tactics is a must when it comes to crafting an effective sales and marketing effort.
Most businesses try a single marketing tactic like search engine optimization. It might work for a couple of months, but eventually it can’t sustain. They might build a new website, or try email marketing, maybe even buy a few spots on local radio…but in the end the result is always the same. Disappointment, frustration, and no idea what to do next.
Marketing doesn’t work like this. One plus one equals three in marketing. You need a collection of well thought out, well organized, synchronized marketing tactics all working together to drive results. We call that a Marketing Machine™. Without one, you are wasting your marketing dollars.
If you want to learn how to create a Reality Marketing™ Strategy for your company and start building your own Marketing Machine™, click here to download our eBook, Strategy Before Tactics – a Guide for Entrepreneurs.
Featured Image Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hansvanrijnberk/2598234846/